Follow

Sunday 24 November 2019

Poetry Post: Pisces In Pieces


It is a scary thing being
Naked while fully clothed.
I stand before you, toes 
Pointing inwards, like a frigid 
Pigeon hesistating on a ledge.


I reach within the depths of 
Myself and retrieve a velvet
Pouch: the shards of me.
It lies at your feet, a private
Collection for your eyes.
You nudge the bag with your
Shoe. You kneel and scratch
Before pulling out a jagged 
Slither. I like you, you say.

I am disarmed. Something 
Bursts behind my ribs and
My arms come full circle 
Around you. Thank you,
I say. I feel brave enough

To feel brave enough again.

It is a scary thing being
Vulnerable while undressed.
I lie beside you, the light
Reflecting off your skin,
Your eyes aglow with after.

I peel back more of my
Exoskeleton, the armour
Of my heart has turned to
Chalk. I feel safe with you.

Until I don't. And I don't
Understand how the
Distance we sought to
Close is not enough
For you anymore.

I reach into the depths
Of darkness and pull back
The velvet pouch. It is
Heavier now, with more
Pieces of me. And I don't
Think I can let myself
Surface in the same
Way as I did before.





















2 comments:

  1. This is so sad and so good. Love your imagery, the pigeon, the shards, brave enough to feel brave enough ... Love it :)

    ReplyDelete