Follow

Saturday 10 September 2016

Short Story Sunday: Falling


Years later, when Anna recalled the blast of air from the train pushing Klaus closer to her body as they kissed on the platform at Markisches Museum, she would smile. In that moment she'd thought there was a rekindling of something between them; that, like Vesuvius, something was about to erupt after years of being dormant. 


She paused outside the bedroom door where Sam lay sleeping. The tray would rattle and jostle as she tried to navigate the door knob with her elbow. 

"Every week it's the same." 

She could hear Sam chuckle. 

"Who needs an alarm when a woman and a tray are as effective." 

"I could bang a pot with a wooden spoon next time if you like." Anna huffed as she placed the tray on the nightstand. The flyaways next to her eyes framed her face, evidence of her exertion. "Good morning, Sam."

The look on his face made her breath catch. After forty years, he still had that kind of power over her. And to think she almost married Klaus.

"Good morning, my darling Anna. What are we breakfasting on today?"
"I thought egg and soldiers. I hope that's all right?"

Before she finished the sentence, he'd dunked the first soldier and gobbled it up.
"You are an incredible woman, Anna Stein." 

She wiped the yolk from the corner of his mouth with her thumb. She knew she had to be careful not to tire him out. "Joe and family will join us for lunch. Are you ready for the children to clamber all over you?"

"No." He laughed. "But I suppose there's little I can do about it." He gobbled another soldier.

The drips of egg yolk began to clot on the plate. Time was in short supply these days.

"Where are you today, my love?" He placed a cold hand over hers. 

"I am remembering how I almost married Klaus."

As he laughed, he sprayed crumbs on his nightshirt. "That poor sod. I wonder what he's up to these days." He stroked her cheek. "I still thank my lucky stars that you chose me. Even though now..." He gestured at the bed. 

"I still fell head over heels for you." She grinned at a memory. "I think the clincher was when you kissed me."

"Is that all?" His face stiffened. "I had rather hoped it was my teeth and my full set of hair that did it. Or perhaps the fact that I knew how to waltz without treading on your toes. I thought you married me because my father had money."

"Yes, well, there was that too. But when I compared Klaus's kisses with yours... Well. There was no comparison, really." 

He clutched the coffee mug to warm his hands. "Why's that?"

"Because, if one believes pop psychology, a man loves the way he kisses."

"And how do I kiss?" 

"Don't make me blush." Anna busied herself with spreading marmalade on the toast.

Sam took her forearm. "Tell me. Please." 

"I am holding a knife, you know."

"I'll risk it."

Anna smiled. "When you kissed me, it felt like my body was too small to contain my emotions. It was like a warm cinnamon pancake on a cold day or a bottle of icy water after a long hike. It was like the moment the sea water feels warm despite the initial chill. It was a knowing that I fitted with you." Her face felt flushed.

Sam sipped his coffee. "Sounds like quite a kiss."

She met his eyes. "I know you know what I am talking about."

"Of course I do. But at least let me appear manly and indifferent." 

Anna reached for the knife and he began to laugh.

"All right, yes. You win."

"That's better." She crunched the toast.

"Except you forgot to mention something."

She dusted the crumbs from her chin. "I don't think so."

Sam looked exasperated. "You forgot to mention that our first kiss made us brave enough to fall into the abyss of love. Neither of us knew what we were getting ourselves into..."

"But I would do it again in a heartbeat."

"Even with the knowledge that you'd marry a man who became a cripple?"

"Your not walking has nothing to do with your ability to love."

Sam wiped his eyes. "I do. I still love you. Always have. Even more than I thought possible." 

Anna blinked hard, willing the emotions away. "Shall we see if our kisses are still magic?"

"I thought you'd never ask."



1 comment: