Follow

Tuesday 30 June 2015

Tuesday Tale: Aggie




He pushed the egg with his fork.

            “It’s too hard, Aggie. I don’t like hard eggs. How many times to I need to tell you?”

 

            “Oh, stop fussing, George, and eat.”

            It was part of their routine to sit together. George complained most days, but it was his way of feeling important. Ever since he started carting around his oxygen tank, everything irritated him.

            “I thought I would sit in the garden today. Will you join me?”

            “No, no, no. Too many flies. I heard from Willie that the doctor found an entire nest of gnats in his ears. You remember? He heard buzzing morning, noon and night. They poured paraffin in his ear and a nest – a nest, Aggie – of gnats came out. No, sir. I’m staying here.”

            She reached across the table and took his hand. He knew what she was thinking and that she was too kind to say it. Aggie stood and took her tea to the French doors. “It’s a beautiful day. Join me if you’re up to it.”

            George grunted.



“Have you checked on George Wallace yet?” The supervisor tapped on his tablet.

            “Yes. Senile as ever. He kept calling me Aggie.”

No comments:

Post a Comment