Follow

Sunday 12 April 2015

Holding out for a Hero

I recently began watching a TV series about a man who, after years away from home, returns to find everything he left behind in shambles. He then has to shoulder the responsibility of rebuilding it all again, and getting used to a new normal. What impresses me about this character is the fact that he decides to live by his own rules. No matter what society -- or even propriety -- require of him, he is unapologetic about the way he chooses to conduct himself.

I think our human experiences predisposes us to liking and supporting heroes. We look for people who, despite seeming ordinary, manage the extraordinary. Hollywood has realised the need for heroes in an age where villains seem to be winning, so it's no surprise that Iron Man, Batman, Spider-Man, Captain America and Thor (amongst others) appeal to people who long to live vicariously through those who are ordinary taxpayers by day and crime-fighting stars by night. Or whatever.

I have a poster of Batman pulling a funny face with the caption: "Be Your Own Hero." I think there's an important message there: save yourself, rescue yourself and uplift yourself through your own actions. We can't wait for someone or something to come and right the wrongs, slay the bullies and kiss the damsels. It's up to us to create that kind of life -- if that's the life we want.

The heroes in my life are people who don't know that they're heroes. They are people who go about living in a way that inspires me. They are people who aren't afraid to take risks, to go after their dreams. They are those who scatter kindness and offer genuine interest and concern about others' wellbeing. They are people who say the right thing at the right time and don't even know how much their saying it then and there means to the people who hear it. They are the true heroes -- and they don't have anything in Spandex to prove it. Most of the time, I'm willing to bet, they have no idea that I even consider them heroic. Here's my tribute to the unsung heroes. And my heartfelt thanks.

While I am on the subject of thanks, there is one particular person (you know who you are) to whom I dedicate this blogpost: thank you for believing in me and for encouraging me to write. Your support makes you one of my heroes. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment